Friday, February 20, 2009

Break Up Songs - an idea for a mix

So I've got this weird idea in my head to make up an itunes mix of break-up songs to coincide with the stages of grief. My spin being that you can get over your breakup all in the space of time it takes to listen to one cd - which of course is not really true, but I thought it was an interesting idea. Music has always helped me through break ups and hard times, so I thought it would be an interesting experiment. Here's some of what I got so far:

1. SHOCK & DENIAL-
No Doubt - Don't Speak



2. PAIN & GUILT-
Toni Braxton - Unbreak My Heart
? - Not Pretty Enough


3. ANGER & BARGAINING-
Alanis Morrissette - You Oughta Know
Ugly Kid Joe - I Hate Everything about you

4. "DEPRESSION", REFLECTION, LONELINESS-
Eric Carmen - All By Myself
Madonna - Love Don't Live Here Anymore


5. THE UPWARD TURN-
Hmm haven't thought of a really good one for this yet. Maybe " It not right, but its ok" by whitney houston?

6. RECONSTRUCTION & WORKING THROUGH-
Gloria Gaynor or Cake - I Will Survive
Destiny's Child - Survivor

7. ACCEPTANCE & HOPE-
Cher - Strong Enough

So what are your favorite break-up songs? Any songs that have gotten you through a rough time in the past or present? Any songs you can think of that fit into the above stages? I'd love a range of music styles, too. Something for everyone! Let me know!

2 comments:

Adiel | Rose Gold Lining said...

Wow, the different categories here are great. Nice list!

Erin said...

Ooo! I have a ton!
Green Day "F.O.D" - just a good angry, yell at the top of your lungs kinda song.
The Pierces "Ruin"
Ben Harper "Another Lonely Day" - one of the saddest, most heart wrenching songs ever.
Duffy "Warwick Avenue" - this is a close second due to the video.
Guster "So Long" - one of my very favorite break up songs bc it's how I felt about someone after we broke up and he turned all whacko.
Guster "Bad Bad World" - As a turn around, hey the world doesn't suck so bad song.
Lily Allen "Smile" - A little revenge feels pretty good.
The Pierces "Kill, Kill, Kill"
Barenaked Ladies "Thanks That Was Fun"
Jimmy Eat World "Get It Faster" - although this one does mention cheating, and I've never cheated, I do like it for the remainder of the song.
Teagan & Sara "Call It Off"

Those would be the ones I turned to if I needed good break up music.